This article is about how to create 3D graphics from a development
How to start creating in 3D?
You can start in different ways, but the easiest way is with a 3D editor. The choices are numerous:
- Maya (Lots of available information);
- 3ds Max (Lots of available information);
- Cinema 4D (More famous in the advertising industry than in the gaming industry);
- Modo (I did not use it, popular with game add-on developers);
- Houdini (3D editor and visual programming environment for complex procedural models and effects);
- Blender (Free and not overpacked, like 3ds Max and Maya. Popular among 3D printing specialists. This program, has advantages and disadvantages).
Several support programs that will help you:
- Marvelous Designer (Creation of clothes and fabric simulation);
- Substance Designer and Substance Painter (Creating procedurally generated materials and textures);
- MARI (Another package for creating textures).
Choosing a 3D package you like (I advise you to look at trial versions to try out different software), we turn to the manuals and online lessons. You can find many guides on the internet, from text and pictures to video courses. Guides covering all the subtleties you will never even need, but most of them will introduce you to the techniques needed to achieve the desired result.
Wow! So many programs! Which one is better?
The truth is that some editors are better suited for specific tasks. In the process of working on a project, you will have to use several programs at the same time. The choice of software comes down to personal preferences and the offshoot of the industry to which your activity is related. 3ds Max and Maya are the most popular and therefore more information is available regarding these. The interface is clear, and the learning system is very useful, but there is no such editor that you cannot master after spending some time learning. I would advise starting with universal programs, and not with specific ones since they are more difficult to learn.
Does this mean there are universal and specialized programs? And how to do I recognize them?
Universal programs (3ds Max, Maya, Blender) allow you to create models, renders, animation, textures and dynamics within a single application. They do not require third-party plug-ins or applications to perform basic tasks. However, with the help of plug-ins, the existing functionality can be expanded.
I’m using Zbrush, so many great works have been done with it, I will start with it! Or not…
To be honest, at the beginning of my journey I thought the same way. But you are running far ahead. Before you start using Zbrush, you should learn the basic principles and fundamentals of modeling. Zbrush is an excellent program for advanced users involved in fine-tuning their models or rapid prototyping. Without knowing the general concepts of 3D, learning to work in Zbrush is not the best idea.